FBI Accesses San Bernardino Shooter's iPhone Without Apple

By Rory Lidstone March 30, 2016

No one expected the San Bernardino terrorist attack to result in a court battle between the U.S. Justice Department and Apple, but that’s what happened. Apple initially refused to compromise its iPhone security in February when it went against a federal court order to introduce a backdoor into the encrypted iPhone used by Syed Farook, an attacker in the December San Bernardino mass shooting. As of Monday, it seems the situation has come to a resolution—at least for now.

According to a court filing from Monday, the Justice Department is now abandoning its bid to force Apple to unlock the iPhone in question, but only because investigators found a way to do so without the company’s assistance. In the three-sentence filing, prosecutors wrote simply that they have “successfully accessed the data” stored on the phone and therefore no longer needed Apple’s court-ordered help to do so.

While this move averts a courtroom showdown between one of the country’s biggest tech giants against the government, while avoiding setting what privacy advocates consider a dangerous precedent, there’s still some mystery as to how exactly investigators got into the phone. The FBI indicated last week that it might have found a way into Farook’s device, going so far as to mention in a court filing that “an outside party demonstrated to the FBI a possible method.” Other than that, government officials have not offered details about who proposed this method or how it would work.

Apple, meanwhile, considers this outcome a success, stating: “From the beginning, we objected to the FBI’s demand that Apple build a backdoor into the iPhone because we believed it was wrong and would set a dangerous precedent. As a result of the government’s dismissal, neither of these occurred. This case should never have been brought.”

According to a little-known process, the government must disclose the method it used to gain access to Farook’s iPhone to Apple, but it doesn’t seem likely this will occur without a fight. In fact, Mark Bartholomew, a professor at SUNY Buffalo Law School who specializes in intellectual property and technology law, told The Washington Post that he expects Apple will have to fight to learn about the methodology used to access the iPhone so the company can fix the security hole.




Edited by Stefania Viscusi

Contributing Writer

SHARE THIS ARTICLE
Related Articles

Mist Applies AI to Improve Wi-Fi

By: Paula Bernier    11/9/2017

Mist has created an AI-driven wireless platform that puts the user and his or mobile device at the heart of the wireless network. Combining machine le…

Read More

International Tech Innovation Growing, Says Consumer Technology Association

By: Doug Mohney    11/8/2017

The Consumer Technology Association (CTA) is best known for the world's largest trade event, but the organization's reach is growing far beyond the CE…

Read More

Broadcom Makes Unsolicited $130B Bid for Qualcomm

By: Paula Bernier    11/6/2017

In what could result in the biggest tech deal in history, semiconductor company Broadcom has made an offer to buy Qualcomm for a whopping $130 billion…

Read More

How Google's 'Moonshot' Could Benefit Industrial Markets

By: Kayla Matthews    10/30/2017

The term "moonshot" encapsulates the spirit of technological achievement: an accomplishment so ambitious, so improbable, that it's equivalent to sendi…

Read More

After Cisco/Broadsoft, Who's Next for M&A?

By: Doug Mohney    10/27/2017

Cisco's trail of acquisition tears over the decades includes the Flip video camera, Cerent, Scientific Atlantic, Linksys, and a couple of others. The …

Read More