For Business, Apple Tops Android...For Now

By

The enterprise user market is an extremely valuable market to say the least, with a huge number of users and a huge number of devices representing, well, a huge amount of dollars. But a recent Good Technology report suggests Apple's primacy in the enterprise market may be threatened by an increasing number of Android device activations.

While Apple is still top dog in the enterprise market, representing four of the top five devices activated in the market, the number of Android devices activated in the enterprise market is rapidly growing.

In fact, the use of Android smartphones doubled in the second quarter of 2012, and the combined total of Android smartphones and tablets activated represented fully 36.9 percent of all enterprise activations. The Galaxy S II from Samsung was the big gainer, with the Droid Razr coming in next, representing both 4.6 percent and 3.2 percent of all Android activations, respectively.

Oddly enough, tablet use in the enterprise sector is still somewhat under-represented, but even here the advantage is clearly Apple's. Apple reportedly accounts for 94.5 percent of all tablet activations, with the Android making up the remaining 5.5 percent. The market for tablets, and even smartphones, will be further destabilized with the introduction of Windows 8 devices and a growing lineup of Windows smartphones.

 

But some industries more than others seem to be getting in on the mobile market. While there's a slight difference between the second-highest adapting industry and the lowest adapting industry in the second quarter, the difference between the second-highest and the highest is enormous.

The financial services industry is far and away the largest adopter over any other, and essentially more so than the next two highest adopters combined.

So what does this mean in wider terms? Well, app makers may well want to pay attention to the financial services market as their adoption of mobile hardware is markedly more than other industries, but it also means there is the potential for great volatility inside the entire sector. That in turn is going to make this industry one to watch for some time to come.




Edited by Braden Becker

Contributing TechZone360 Writer

SHARE THIS ARTICLE
Related Articles

Coding and Invention Made Fun

By: Special Guest    10/12/2018

SAM is a series of kits that integrates hardware and software with the Internet. Combining wireless building blocks composed of sensors and actors con…

Read More

Facebook Marketplace Now Leverages AI

By: Paula Bernier    10/3/2018

Artificial intelligence is changing the way businesses interact with customers. Facebook's announcement this week is just another example of how this …

Read More

Oct. 17 Webinar to Address Apache Spark Benefits, Tools

By: Paula Bernier    10/2/2018

In the upcoming webinar "Apache Spark: The New Enterprise Backbone for ETL, Batch and Real-time Streaming," industry experts will offer details on clo…

Read More

It's Black and White: Cybercriminals Are Spending 10x More Than Enterprises to Control, Disrupt and Steal

By: Cynthia S. Artin    9/26/2018

In a stunning new report by Carbon Black, "Hacking, Escalating Attacks and The Role of Threat Hunting" the company revealed that 92% of UK companies s…

Read More

6 Challenges of 5G, and the 9 Pillars of Assurance Strategy

By: Special Guest    9/17/2018

To make 5G possible, everything will change. The 5G network will involve new antennas and chipsets, new architectures, new KPIs, new vendors, cloud di…

Read More