Apple's iAd Will No Longer Serve Ads in Kids' Apps

By Tracey E. Schelmetic May 11, 2011

Rumor has it that Apple's iAd platform will no longer be serving ads within apps aimed at young children. But don't feel warm and fuzzy: it has little to do with corporate concern for the impressionable minds of the youngest app users.

iAd, of course, is Apple's mobile advertising platform for the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. It allows third-party developers to directly embed advertisements into their applications, and it's usually why some applications can be free, as opposed to paid, apps. It was introduced last year as part of Apple's iOS 4. Hosted and sold by Apple, the iAd platform is a direct competitor with Google's AdMob mobile advertising service. Users of an application can tap an ad banner that appears in the app if he or she wants more information about a product or service. Apple retains 40 percent of the ad revenue, with the other 60 percent going to the developer o the app.

Web site Pocket Gamer reported today that the discontinuation of iAds in kids' apps is more about advertisers deciding their ad dollars are being wasted with a kid audience. Turns out, kids don't click on ads very often.

“Suspicions were first raised when one developer realized their iAd fill rate had dropped from an admittedly low 5 percent to a non-existent 0 percent,” wrote Pocket Gamer. “After querying the drop, Michael Zornek – the man behind Pokémon browser Dex - was then informed via e-mail that Apple 'periodically review the apps in the iAd network to ensure that all apps receiving are aligned with the needs of our advertisers'”.Apparently, Apple decided that Dex is “too kiddie orientated.”Zornek was told by Apple that, “Currently, our advertisers prefer that their advertising not appear in applications that are targeted for users that are young children, since their products are not targeted at that audience.”

Interestingly, Zornek going public with his exchange with Apple is the only evidence of this new policy. No official statements have come from Apple, and app developers have received no notification.


Tracey Schelmetic is a contributing editor for TechZone360. To read more of Tracey's articles, please visit her columnist page.

Edited by Rich Steeves

TechZone360 Contributor

SHARE THIS ARTICLE
Related Articles

6 Challenges of 5G, and the 9 Pillars of Assurance Strategy

By: Special Guest    9/17/2018

To make 5G possible, everything will change. The 5G network will involve new antennas and chipsets, new architectures, new KPIs, new vendors, cloud di…

Read More

Putting the Flow into Workflow, Paessler and Briefery Help Businesses Operate Better

By: Cynthia S. Artin    9/14/2018

The digital transformation of business is generating a lot of value, through more automation, more intelligence, and ultimately more efficiency.

Read More

From Mainframe to Open Frameworks, Linux Foundation Fuels Up with Rocket Software

By: Special Guest    9/6/2018

Last week, at the Open Source Summit, hosted by The Linux Foundation, the Open Mainframe Project gave birth to Zowe, introduced a new open source soft…

Read More

Unified Office Takes a Trip to the Dentist Office

By: Cynthia S. Artin    9/6/2018

Not many of us love going to see the dentist, and one company working across unified voice, productivity and even IoT systems is out to make the exper…

Read More

AIOps Outfit Moogsoft Launches Observe

By: Paula Bernier    8/30/2018

Moogsoft Observe advances the capabilities of AIOps to help IT teams better manage their services and applications in the face of a massive proliferat…

Read More